Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hey boy, that's Brixton Calling



I was really pleased when a new friend I made at the Fact Magazine Party dropped me a line early in the week, and asked if I cared to join her on a Brixton Market Mission.

Brixton has a retched rep, but it also has a cranking scene- lots of colour and action- peeps a plenty, reggae booming loudly out of every second street vendor, and so much Afro-Caribbean food stalls out on the streets selling mangoes, green bananas, pineapples, dried fish cutlets, herbs and spices, as well as lamb pasties with bright yellow pastry. Along side the food stands, there are stores selling brightly coloured fabrics and dresses that reminded me of the clothing worn by women in the movie 'Coming to America', big gold earrings, wigs, Afro-beat CDs, smoking paraphernalia and eateries tucked away in little, sheltered pockets- the food, though unlabelled, looks so yummy!

The indoor 'supermarkets' adjoining the outdoor stalls reminded me of those I'd seen in South East Asia- unorthodox, unordered, and full of wonderful surprises! I found Fanta (as shown in photos above) in bottles that I hadn't seen since the '80s, a forgotten cup of tea stashed in between containers of what looked like wasabi peas, and the most delicious nectarine I've had in months...

Get there, y'all.

No comments: